If you or someone you know is a veteran in need of assistance, Heart of Florida United Way’s Mission United program may be able to help.
What is Mission United?
We recognize that there are many services out there, but the system can be complex and overwhelming. Mission United is a unique program, bringing together partners and resources to simplify the path for veterans as they acclimate to civilian life. It’s a one-stop location that connects veterans and their families with resources specific to their needs in the areas of education, employment and legal assistance.
We offer services like enrollment assistance, college life support services and assistance in making career and education decisions that match your skills and interests. From navigating GI Bill Education Benefits to finding an institution that is a good fit for you, Mission United offers comprehensive support.
Veterans learn skills that set them apart from other job candidates. We help veterans translate their experiences to obtain a self-sustaining career. We help them with resume writing, interview skills and targeted networking. We link them to potential job opportunities and work with local employers to help them understand the benefits of hiring veterans.
We partner with local law firms and Legal Aid offices to offer pro-bono serves to veterans in need of help. From family law to issues around VA benefits, we give veterans the legal assistance they need to get back on track to sustainable employment.
How Do I Get Help?
If you or someone you know is in need of assistance, you can contact Mission United in the following ways:
General Information & Assistance
- Search the United Way 211 Community Resource Directory by selecting the link below: Veterans and Military Personnel
- Dial 211 and identify yourself as a veteran to be connected to support resources near you
- Text your zip code to 898-211 and you will be connected to a trained specialist
- Click here to chat with a 211 specialist online
Need Help Gaining Employment or Keeping Your Job
- Through the support of the Massey Foundation, TD Charitable Foundation, and the Heart of Florida United Way, Mission United’s Employability Fund provides Veterans with resources to help cover the costs of training programs, certifications, licenses, uniforms, tools, and other work related expenses to help Veterans gain employment and/or keep their jobs.
- Please click here to complete the Employability Fund application.
Need a Ride for Appointments, Employment, or Groceries
- The Mission United Lyft Rideshare Program assists Veterans who need transportation assistance for doctor’s appointments, grocery shopping, legal consultation, housing, employment interview, economic stability, etc.
- The Veteran must have the Lyft App on their phone and have a current Lyft account with a valid payment option on the account.
- Please click here to learn more and schedule a ride.