United Way’s Financial Stability Coalition assists low-to moderate-income families in claiming the federal Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). EITC is credited with lifting more children out of poverty than any other federal program. At a time when many families are struggling to make ends meet, EITC dollars can be used to reduce debt, improve job skills, build savings or take other steps to improve financial stability, which is one of United Way’s primary focus areas.
What is Earned Income?
Who is a “qualifying child”?
What if I don’t have qualifying children?
Does filing for EITC affect eligibility for other public benefits?
What if I already filed my tax return for the year?
What do I need to bring to my tax preparation appointment?
Among other factors, you must have:
- Worked during the past year and earned income
- A valid Social Security number for each family member
- Joint tax-filing status (if married)
- U.S. citizenship or resident alien status all year, or be a nonresident alien married to a U.S. citizen or resident alien and file a joint return
Am I Eligible?
Your income in 2019 must be less than:
If you are SINGLE…
$50,162 if you have three or more qualifying children
$46,703 if you have two qualifying children
$41,094 if you have one qualifying child
$15,570 if you have no qualifying children
If you are MARRIED filing jointly…
$55,952 if you have three or more qualifying children
$52,493 if you have two qualifying children
$46,884 if you have one qualifying child
$21,370 if you have no qualifying children
What Do I Bring?
- All forms, W-2s, and 1099s
- Form 1095 – A, B, and C, Health Insurance Statement
- Information about other income
- Information about all deductions/credits
- A copy of last year’s tax return (if available)
- Proof of account for direct deposit of refund (e.g., voided check)
- Social Security card or ITIN numbers for you, your dependents and/or spouse
- Photo identification for yourself and your spouse
Where Can I File?
To find VITA tax sites near you, call 2-1-1 or visit our VITA site.